Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ice Shards Mosaic

After a recent freeze, and subsequent thaw, of my intimate inland lake, I watched and listened to a phenomenon that made me feel as though I was living inside a Zen painting. Rather than freezing like a sheer plane of glass, the shoreline had frozen in a mosaic of a thousand ice shards. As I stood still, listening, it made a soft hissing noise, not unlike the sound that rice krispies make when you pour milk on them.
With eyes closed, I swear I could hear Cinderella walking furtively on crushed glass slippers. As the wind gusted, sending waves from the open water, the ice shards collided, tinkling like glass in a wind chime. With eyes closed, I had the sense that if I were in deep-space, or if I went deep enough inside myself, this would be the sound I would hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment